Cardiff University Press is proud to be contributing to the University’s strategic vision of “continuous improvement of infrastructure to underpin the production of excellent research with impact”.
How do we do that? By:
- Providing a sustainable online platform for high-quality Cardiff University journals and other publications
We currently have 8 journals regularly publishing with us, and another 2 to be launched in the near future. We’ll also be starting to publish 2 working paper series this year. Do you have a proposal for another journal or series that we could add to our portfolio? Let us know at email@example.com if so!
- Launching innovative publications using a fully Open Access ‘Diamond’ model of publishing
Our Diamond OA model, meaning no charges to readers for downloading our publications and no charges to authors and editors for publishing with us, has been applied to all our journals and series. No other institutional publisher in the UK does this quite like we do, although UCL Press in London is a fully Open Access publisher too.
- Relaunching established publications using a specialist Open Scholarship publishing platform (Ubiquity Press)
In 2017 we teamed up with Ubiquity Press, also based in London, who created a new online space for us on their platform. Our publications have now been relaunched there to provide an improved service to our readers, authors and editorial teams.
- Providing opportunities for monograph publication to add to the Open Access journals and series published through the Press
We’re now piloting the publication of monographs, in the hope that we can offer this service more extensively in future. Exciting times!
- Improving the IT and publishing skills of academic staff and students
In addition to training staff and students to use our publishing platform, we’re planning an external training session soon which will focus on copy-editing and proofreading skills.
- Professionalising students and enhancing their employability
We offer students opportunities to gain work experience with us in a variety of different roles. These roles range from book reviewers, proofreaders and social media publicists to journal editors and student reps on the Editorial Board of the Press itself. Experience of this kind, and the skills gained from it, look amazing on a student’s CV and could lead to a fascinating career after graduation. Unsurprisingly, our work experience opportunities are much in demand!
Follow this blog for updates….